Single leg dumbbell squat with floor reach and external rotation
- Make sure that you are able to bend easily from the hips, are able to keep the knees slightly bent, and maintain good stability throughout the abdomen/belly.
- Begin with a thorough warm up before starting this exercise, this engages the sensory system.
How to Do:
- This movement involves a combination of a one legged squat with opposite arm toe reach and shoulder external rotation.
- Start standing on one leg, knee slightly bent, and toe pointing straight ahead.
- The opposite arm is held up, elbow bent at about 90° (as shown).
- Simultaneously perform a one legged squat while reaching raised arm across the body towards the planted foot.
- As you stand back up, the arm swings up and back (as shown).
- Since there is no external resistance, this exercise can be done at a higher, moderate speed for added challenge.
- This exercise should flow.
- Inertia progressions - No weight to dumbbells to cables to tubing
- Movement progressions - Squat with touchdown to squat touchdown to overhead press.
2021 © Changing Shape - All rights reserved.