Heel toe straight leg crunches with dumbbell
- Lay down on the floor using a flat exercise mat, if needed.
- Place the left heel on top of the right toe. To support the neck, bend the left arm and place its hand at the base of your neck.
- Raise the right arm up overhead and perpendicular to the body. It should be pointing toward the ceiling.
- Suck in the tummy drawing the bellybutton towards the spine. Squeeze the hips together. Hold this posture throughout this exercise.
How to Do the Exercise:
- Inhale while keeping the eyes focused on the ceiling. Lift both shoulders off the floor.
- Exhale while lifting the shoulders. Hold this position briefly while squeezing the tummy muscles.
- Slowly return to the original position before continuing with the rest of the repetitions.
- Switch the feet (place the right heel on top of the left toe) and support the neck with the right hand while the left arm extends overhead.
- Suck in the tummy and squeeze the hips. Then repeat the sequence for the desired number of repetitions. Challenge yourself without overexerting yourself.
- You want to be sure at all times that you’re not exerting pressure on the neck and head so as to cause the chin to curl toward the chest.
- Always support the neck and keep the eyes focused on the ceiling.
- Maintain the sucked in tummy and keep the hips squeezed together throughout the exercise.
- Discontinue this exercise when unable to maintain proper form any longer. Without proper form, this exercise becomes both unsafe and ineffective.
Challenge Yourself Further:
- You can increase the intensity of this exercise by performing it while holding a dumbbell in the extended (free) hand.
- Follow the safety guidelines described above. Pay close attention to form throughout exercise.
2021 © Changing Shape - All rights reserved.