Single leg balance with overhead arm reach toward stance leg
What is it and benefits?
- Single Leg Balance Hold with Lateral Overhead Reach Toward Stance Leg is an intermediate exercise that improves coordination and balance.
- It also strengthens and stabilizes the shoulders, spine, CORE, hips, and legs.
Who should perform it?
- This exercise may be performed by healthy exercisers who have adequate CORE strength, good spinal alignment, and the ability to balance on one leg.
- Perform active stretching for the legs, hips, and core if excessive tightness and weakness persists in these areas.
- Stand tall with both feet hip-width apart.
- Roll the shoulders back and press down. Keep the chest high.
- Suck in the tummy in an attempt to make the navel touch the spine.
- Shift the weight to the left leg. Lift the right foot and allow it to just hover above the floor.
How to Do the Exercise:
- Reach both arms overhead.
- Slowly extend the right leg slightly behind and lean over to the rigth side. Only lean as far as you can maintain balance.
- Hold for 5-10 seconds.
- Return to starting position.
- Repeat as desired and then switch to the opposite side.
- Be sure to keep the tummy pulled in throughout the exercise.
- Do not exaggerate the upper or lower body movements.
- If any pain or discomfort is experienced discontinue this exercise.
2021 © Changing Shape - All rights reserved.