How to Do Dumbbell Lateral Step Up and Shoulder Press on Single Leg
The dumbbell lateral step up and shoulder press on single leg should begin with good posture to avoid injury. Brace the spine by drawing your lower abdomen inward. Your core muscles should be activated to support your posture as you perform the exercise.
If any pain is experienced, immediately stop the dumbbell lateral step up and shoulder press on single leg.
Beginning Dumbbell Lateral Step Up and Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Lateral Step Up and Shoulder Press Movement
1. Start off by standing to the side of a step with dumbbells in your hands, up in front of your chest, and palms facing you.
2. Make a side step and bring both legs onto the step.
3. From here, simultaneously lift one leg so that is at a 90 degree angle, and twist and press the dumbbells so your arms are straight over your head.
4. The finished movement should have your palms facing away from you with your arms straight above you to the sides of your head.
5. Untwist your arms and bring them back to your upper body, lower your leg, and step off the step. You are now at the starting position.
6. Repeat the entire process except that you will now be lifting the opposite leg.
Dumbbell Lateral Step Up and Shoulder Press Benefits
The lateral step-up improves hip stability and stresses knee extension in the most mechanically difficult range, providing unilateral leg strength for better balance and reducing weaknesses that limit bilateral leg strength.
Single Leg Step Up, Shoulder Overhead Press, Dumbbell Shoulder Press Exercise.