Sliding hip abduction to overhead press
- Maintain good posture throughout the exercise with shoulder blades back and down, good stability through the belly (keeping the belly tight by drawing the belly button towards the spine. Then, contract the pelvic floor by tightening the same muscles that are commonly used to stop the flow of urine). Also, maintain neutral spine angles.
- Begin with a thorough dynamic warm up before starting this exercise. This engages the nervous system.
- Start with LIGHT dumbbells and have feet together, pointing forward; hands by the ears, palms facing forward.
How to Do:
- Start at one end of the Reebok slide.
- Simultaneously, move one leg away from the body’s center (without externally rotating the thigh) and perform shoulder press.
- Maintain stiffness in the core and SLOWLY return to the starting position.
- Perform the desired number of reps and switch sides.
Other Notes: TRAINERS: watch for and correct: external rotation in the foot, excessive arch in the lumbar spine as the client presses weight above head, and difficulty abducting or adducting the legs through this movement (this may indicate weakness in either the adductors or glutes and an easier exercise may be required).
2020 © Changing Shape - All rights reserved.