Ideal Weight Chart Men
Ideal Weight Men's Charts
Use the chart below to calculate how much you should weigh based on the averages and your height. Scale weight between males can vary greatly based on lean body mass. This is not a perfect measurement. Guys should use this tool to get an idea of normal ranges. If you want a more optimum way to assess your overall health and calculate your perfect scale weight, please use the body fat or waist to hip calculator.
Ideal Body Weight Chart Men
|Height Feet' Inches"||Smaller Framed Males||Medium Framed Males||Larger Framed Males|
|Male 6' 2"||155-168||164-178||172-197|
|Male 6' 3"||158-172||167-182||176-202|
|Male 6' 4"||162-176||171-187||181-207|
* Weight in pounds according to frame (in indoor clothing weighing 3 lbs.; shoes with 1" heels).
* Weights at ages 25-59 based on lowest mortality.
* Being underweight or overweight are recognized risk factors for many diseases, namely hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemias, and perhaps certain types of cancers. Remember, these are statistical averages and not absolutes. If you are very muscular, the chart will be inaccurate for you.
Quick Reference to Find Your Frame Size
To calculate your frame type, place your thumb and index finger around your wrist. If your finger overlaps the thumb, your frame is a "Small Frame". If they touch, your frame is a "Medium Frame". If they do not touch, your frame is a "Large Frame". Keep in mind that this is a far less accurate measurement method.
How to Approximate Your Frame Size
- Bend your forearm up to a 90-degree angle. Your arm should be parallel to your body.
- Keep your fingers straight and turn the inside of your wrist towards the body.
- Using your other hand, place your thumb and index finger on the two prominent bones (on either side) of the elbow.
- Measure the distance between the bones with a tape measure or calipers.
- Compare with the tables listing elbow measurements for medium-framed men.
- Measurements lower than those listed for a medium frame indicate a small frame. Higher measurements indicate a large frame.
Elbow Measurements for Medium Frame
|Height in 1" Heels||Elbow Measurement|
Your Ideal Weight? Ask Your Insurance Rep!
The ideal weight charts were put together from companies that sell insurance. The insurers wanted some way to track risk of policy holders and to have general recommendations for the weight of men and females. The "desirable" weight numbers were found by calculating the insured individuals that had the lowest death rates and health issues. Even though it was a large-scale study, the numbers are inaccurate because they don’t include a true cross-section of the American people, just those insured. The "ideal weight" recommendations are dated and completely inaccurate if you carry a little more muscle than the average male.
How to Use the Insurance Data?
If you still prefer to use a simple calculator to determine your ideal body weight based on the insurance data, select the link below. Also, keep in mind that these are just weight averages, and everyone is different. Again, the calculator will be inaccurate if you have more muscle or lean body mass than the average guy.