How to Do Heisman Step With Medicine Ball
The heisman step with medicine ball should begin with good posture to avoid injury. Brace the spine by drawing your lower abdomen inward. Your core muscles should be activated to support your posture as you perform the exercise.
If any pain is experienced, immediately stop the heisman step with medicine ball.
Beginning Heisman Step
1. Maintain good posture with shoulder blades retracted and depressed and good stability through the abdominal complex.
2. Initiate a thorough dynamic warm up prior to starting this exercise, this engages the nervous system.
3. Ensure that the client is proficient at “multiplanar lunges with arm drivers” before prescribing this exercise.
Heisman Step Movement
1. This movement involves a step with a knee kick and trunk rotation.
2. Start with a staggered stance in a long stride position holding the medicine ball in both hands at chest height towards the forward leg (as shown).
3. As the rear foot comes forward, the knee drives forward and up as the medicine ball is rotated towards the incoming leg.
4. The motion is quickly decelerated and the client returns the start position momentarily touching the ground behind them (see video).
5. This movement is quickly repeated for a desired number of reps.
6. Ensure that at NO point in the movement, the low back arches excessively.
Heisman Step Benefits
Heisman is a high-intensity plyometric activity that helps you build muscle and burn fat.