How to Do Cable Triceps Chop Pivot
The cable triceps chop pivot should begin with good posture to avoid injury. Brace the spine by drawing your lower abdomen inward. Your core muscles should be activated to support your posture as you perform the exercise.
If any pain is experienced, immediately stop the cable triceps chop pivot.
Beginning Triceps Chop
1. Start with the feet shoulder width apart and toed out slightly, knees are bent and the chest remains high during the movement.
2. Begin with a thorough dynamic warm up before starting this exercise; This engages the nervous system.
Triceps Chop Movement
1. This movement combines a cross body triceps pushdown with a 180° step pivot.
2. Start by turning the body 90° to the weight stack.
3. Perform a cross body triceps pushdown as shown (for description see triceps pushdown in the exercise library).
4. As the weight is being decelerated back, the outside foot comes forward and the inside foot goes out as you pivot 180°.
5. Repeat pushdowns with pivots for the desired amount of reps.
6. Start with weight that is approximately 50% of triceps pushdown weight to ensure control and stability.
Triceps Chop Benefits
The triceps are important for developing upper-body strength and assisting with shoulder and elbow movement. Increased triceps strength improves shoulder and arm stability, as well as flexibility and range of motion.