How to Do Medicine Ball Chop and Lift
The medicine ball chop and lift should begin with good posture to avoid injury. Brace the spine by drawing your lower abdomen inward. Your core muscles should be activated to support your posture as you perform the exercise.
If any pain is experienced, immediately stop the medicine ball chop and lift.
Beginning X-body Axe Chop
1. Begin with a thorough warm up before starting this exercise. This engages the sensory system.
2. Start with the feet slightly wider than the width of the shoulders with the toes slightly turned out.
X-body Axe Chop Movement
1. This movement involves a cross-body chop motion using a medicine ball.
2. Start with the knees slightly bent, both hands on the medicine ball, and arms straight.
3. The hands start at head height (as shown).
4. In one quick and smooth motion, move the medicine ball down and across the body.
5. At this point you will return the medicine ball straight up and perform the movement in the opposite direction from high to low again.
6. Repeat the pattern back and forth for the desired reps.
X-body Axe Chop Benefits
The transverse abdominis and oblique muscles are targeted by the cable woodchop. These muscles allow you to rotate at the waist and hit a bat or racket with your entire body weight rather than simply your arms. The woodchop also works your back, shoulders, and legs muscles.