How to Do
How to Do Standing Alternating Shoulder Press With Dumbbells
This exercise can also be performed by alternating the arms. With both DBs at shoulder height, press one DB overhead and lower it back to shoulder height, before pressing the other DB up.
Beginning Shoulder Press with Dumbbells in a Standing Position
1. This is a strength exercise targeting the deltoids and the triceps.
2. Stand with feet hip-width apart. Feet should be parallel and the knees should be inline over the second toe.
3. Maintain neutral hips and a neutral spine during this exercise.
4. The ears should be aligned over the shoulders.
5. With a dumbbell in one hand, you will start with the arms raised to the shoulder.
6. Alternate each arm up over your head.
7. Arm is fully extended over the head and back down to the start position before raising the other arm.
Shoulder Press with Dumbbells in a Standing Position Movement
1. With your arms at your sides and a dumbbell in each hand, stand with your feet facing forward and shoulder-width apart. Make sure that your weight is centered, and your body is aligned.
2. Tighten up your abdominals to support the back and spine, then bring the DBs up to shoulder height, with your palms facing forward.
3. Pull your shoulder blades back and down, and then press the DBs up and over your head, extending your elbows fully.
4. Lower the DBs back to shoulder height. Repeat for the required number of repetitions.
5. During the exercise, be sure not to let your back arch.
Shoulder Press with Dumbbells in a Standing Position Benefits
Perform this exercise at home or in the gym.
This is a classic exercise for building strength in the shoulder muscles. The back of the arms triceps is also activated.
In addition to training the shoulders, your core muscles will also come into play throughout the exercise to support the back and spine. This is especially important due to the standing position.
Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press, Exercises With Dumbbells for Shoulders, How to Do a Standing Shoulder Press.