How to Do
How to Do Seated on Ball Dumbbell Shoulder Press with One Arm
The seated on ball one-arm dumbbell shoulder press should begin with a good posture to avoid injury. Brace the spine by drawing your lower abdomen inward. Your core muscles should be activated to support your posture as you perform the exercise.
If any pain is experienced, immediately stop the seated on ball one arm dumbbell shoulder press.
Beginning Dumbbell Shoulder Press with One Arm
1. Take a dumbbell in one hand and raise it to shoulder height with your arm bent and palm facing your chest.
2. Keep your core strong and your feet about shoulder-width apart as you stand tall. Press the dumbbell over your head with a firm grip until your arm is almost totally locked out.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press with One Arm Movement
1. Choose a stability ball that will allow you to sit on it with your knees bent at about ninety degrees, with your feet flat on the floor, set about shoulder-width apart.
2. Choose dumbbells that are relatively lightweight. Sit upright on the ball with the dumbbells in your hands. With your palms facing your body, allow your arms to rest at your sides.
3. Draw up the spine so that you are sitting straight, and your neck is aligned with your shoulders and hips. Slightly tense your legs to keep your body centered on the ball.
4. Tighten up your abdominals to support the back and spine, then bring the dumbbells up to shoulder height, with your palms facing forward. This will put you in a wide position that should see your upper arms aligned with your shoulders, elbows bent at 90 degrees, and your wrists and the dumbbells directly over your elbows.
5. Pull your shoulder blades back and down, and then press the dumbbells up and over your head by extending your elbows until your arms are directly overhead with your hands next to each other. Your hands will describe a wide arc from the wider start position to the closed end position.
6. Lower the dumbbells back to shoulder height. Repeat for the required number of repetitions.
7. Be sure to check in with your back and to check that you are not arching it at any point during the exercise.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press with One Arm Benefits
Perform this exercise at home or in the gym.
This exercise builds strength in the shoulder muscles. The back of the arms triceps is also activated.
In addition to training the shoulders, your core muscles will also come into play throughout the exercise to support the back and spine, and keep you steady as you perform the exercise on the stability ball.
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press, How to Do Seated Shoulder Press, How to Workout Your Shoulders With Dumbbells, Exercises With Stability Ball, One Arm Shoulder Press