How to Do Speed Ladder Skiers
The speed ladder skiers should begin with a good posture to avoid injury. Brace the spine by drawing your lower abdomen inward. Your core muscles should be activated to support your posture as you perform the exercise.
If any pain is experienced, immediately stop the speed ladder skiers.
Beginning Speed Ladder Drills
Begin with a thorough dynamic warm up before starting this exercise; this engages the nervous system.
Speed Ladder Drills Movement
1. Begin this speed ladder drill by facing the length of the ladder at the side of the first rung.
2. Both feet will be moving together in this drill.
3. Make sure you land on the toes and both feet land at the same time (foot print consistency).
4. Start by jumping sideways into the first rung, landing on both feet.
5. Jump sideways again to the other side of the ladder.
6. Jump diagonally in the opposite direction into the second rung, keep landing with two feet, and continue this sequence through the entire length of the speed ladder.
7. Perform this drill as fast as you can control.
8. Ensure good footprint consistency, and hips facing forward.
9. Watch for unnatural movement in the kinetic chain which could indicate side-to-side instability.
Speed Ladder Drills Benefits
The agility ladder, also known as a speed ladder, strengthens your joints, ligaments, and tendons while improving three essential fitness factors: speed, agility, and quickness.